Sunday, March 13, 2011

Can you feel it? It's SPRING!

Hello Spring!
Materials: My Little Shoebox papers & alphas, Bazzill swiss dotted paper- Fuschia, K & Co pink netting,
Liquid Pearls in pink
OMG NYC just had the most beautiful springlike day and I didn't know what to do with myself! I ran up, I ran down, I ran all around- Lola was happy but soon realized I had gone bananas and put me ON POINT in the middle of the park with a huge SHRIEK so we went home and watched Elmo for a while. I feel a HUGE weight lifting- GOOD BYE WINTER! Little dance little dance...
How much do I love the orange glitter alphas? MUCH dude MUCH!
Here's a new My Little Shoebox page. I got my prize package from 2 Peas with papers, stamps and alphas stickers from Farmer's Market and Home Tweet Home lines. I also bought some Green papers because I really wanted that woodgrain pattern- it's so mod! I feel so free with these papers! They are so colorful and playful that it just dissapates all the obnoxious angst I usually go through when thinking up a page. OFFICIAL MLS fan!!!!
Here are some close ups:
Luscious flowers! Bend up the petals and WHAM! instant texture.
Had "fun" cutting those itty bitty scallops- will need to practice.
Started with red pen but it disappeared into the orange paper so I had to go over it with red marker.
Now about this machine stitching technique:
Left to right: Yellow zig zag stitch- front of stitch followed by Yellow/pink zig zag stitch- back of stitch usually never seen since it's on the inside of your clothes.
Here's what I did:
1. Roughly traced circle and scallop border onto onion skin paper to give general idea of their location.
2. Glued template to the back of the scallop die cut paper
3. Put pink thread in bobbin at bottom of machine and canary yellow in spool on top of machine to get two-tone effect.
4. Using the rough sketch on the onion paper as a guide, I stitched a swirl shape onto the MLS die cut paper using a zig zag stitch so that the BACK of the zig zag stitch (usually hidden in the interior of your clothing) showed on the FRONT of the paper BINGO - instant 2 tone effect!
5. Turned paper over and giggled hysterically at the COOLIO effect.
7. Switched bottom bobbin to canary yellow string.
8. Swirled the FRONT of the zig zag stitch onto the spaces left by previous swirl.

Hope that makes sense- it's just a fun little tweak on the usual.
*Thank you Mary from the Scrapbook.com forum for helping me with proper sewing terminology for this itty bitty tute!

Here's the page again in larger format (and away from all my blogger template madness):

Required Miss Lola shot:
MuChOs SmOoChEs!
M.

20 comments:

  1. Fabulous stitching technique, and a beautiful, cheerful, Spring LO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, love this layout. Screams spring. And Lola is an absolute doll. Thanks for all the inspo and tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GORgeous! All the texture, and bright happy, hopefull attitude of spring here. LOVE it! You rocked that MLS, Girl! Great tutorial BTW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute layout! I love the colors, the stitching and all the fussy cutting/layering of the flowers. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, so many beautiful details!!! love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fabulous springy page! i can feel it! am impressed by the stitching patience shown too. great page!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun! Love the stitching on your page!!!! So cool that you live in NYC!!! It's beautiful here too in Rochester. My dog is loving it. Thanks for the blog love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello awesome!!!!!
    this just made my morning fabulouuuuuuussss!!!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO FLIPPIN AWESOME!!! Can I be like you when I grow up?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Serious wow! This layout is phenomenal! I linked it up on Practical Scrappers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful spring layout! Your stitching is fab and Lola is pure cuteness! Thanks for playing along Michelle, your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. gosh! that is such an intricate stitch work! amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michelle!!! This is gorgeous!! I love all the stitching and the fussy cut flowers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is gorgeous - I love how you have used the negative space from the letters and that stitching just ROCKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So colourful!! Love the layers, the lettering, and that's so interesting the machine stitching, really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a fabulous project - thanks so much fpr letting me feature it over at TipJunkie!
    Lowri
    http://www.tipjunkie.com/papercraft-tutorials/

    ReplyDelete

Ok peeps lets CHAT! You tell me what you REALLY think and I PROMISE to keep it open minded here.